Friday 5 October 2007

Day 1 of competition

Ok, after a 36 hour trip and 3 days of practice, the IPC World Championships kicked off for me this morning. Practice went very well and things were looking good but the only problem was i think i was too laid back, i mean i felt no nerves at all which is pretty unusual for me. I usually have a touch of the butterflies at the start of every round i shoot but this morning there were none, nada, zero, zipp!!!

Unfortunately it appears that these nerves are quite an important part of my shooting as my scores were borderline dismal. I shot the lowest 90m and the lowest 70m scores of the whole season and as a result finished today in 25th position. If i had scored the same as i have been all season long i would be sitting in 2nd or 3rd place this evening, so you can imagine how frustrated i'm feeling right now.

Anyhoo, tommorrow is another day as they say (whoever "they" are) and i have the 50m and 30m distances to shoot. 50m being my best distance so i'm hoping to repair some of the damage done today there. I really need to be in the top 15 by the end of tomorrow so i get a bye through to the 2nd round of the elimination matches.

Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed for me and i promise i will try to be nervous :)

Till tomorrow....

3 comments:

Marty said...

Keeping everything crossed for You for tomorrow, I was pretty impressed with your 25th place but then, what do I know (I know better now). Looking forward to seeing the table tomorrow. As I said, everything will be crossed tomorrow, get the nerves back and go in fighting.

Marty.

Anonymous said...

C'mon Mick, all in the Paterson household wishing you the best out there. I must admit though getting to Beijing is a bit of an extreme way to avoid house hunting.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to see you didn't make it mate... good try though. Still the team rounds to come. Look on it as practice for Beijing!

Give my regards to everyone... wishing I was there!